The General Education Oversight Committee (GEOC) is a subcommittee of the University Senate’s Curricula and Courses Standing Committee.
Its primary (but not exhaustive) responsibilities are as follows:
- proposing to the Senate goals and objectives of the Content Areas and Competencies;
- proposing policy regarding the University-wide General Education program;
- reviewing proposals for including, revising, deleting, and offering in intensive sessions of four weeks or less, courses that are in the General Education Curriculum;
- reporting on enrollment in courses in the General Education Curriculum and how the courses are staffed;
- monitoring courses in the General Education Curriculum to ensure that they continue to meet curricular goals and objectives approved by the Senate, and recommending removal of courses from the General Education Curriculum that no longer meet these criteria; and,
- reviewing the General Education Curriculum to ensure that its goals and objectives are aligned with the academic plan of the University.